Where does phonics instruction fit within a comprehensive literacy program? When and how would you teach phonics?
I think that phonics fits into the comprehensive literacy program in several places. I do not think that phonics should be the only thing that is taught in reading. We also need to teach fluency and comprehension. I would teach my phonics lesson mainly in guided reading. This is the time when phonics skills can be worked on in a small group. I think that the students will benefit from having this phonics skills taught in small group guided reading. Another place in the comprehensive literacy program that I would teach phonics would be during guided writing. Teaching phonics in the guided writing lesson will help the students be able to work on there own writing. They will then be able to sound out words and be able to spell them phonetically on their own. I would incorporate phonics into my reading lessons but I would also teach fluency and comprehension as well to go along with it.
Hi Mallory,
ReplyDeleteI believe that phonics should be taught along with other reading skills as well. Comprehension, spelling, vocabulary, fluency, and phonics are all related. Those skills enhance each other. I would teach phonics in guided reading as well. Small group instruction will be in effect, and the teacher would be able to identify the problem and manage a solution better than whole group. I really enjoyed reading your post. My thoughts were very similar to yours.
Mallory, I agree with you and Starlet - everything is connected! I think that guided reading would be a great time to fit in a phonics mini lesson.
ReplyDelete