Sunday, July 7, 2013

Module 4: Activity 1

         After watching this video it first off truly made me realize the whole reason that I decided to become a teacher to help people. This video shows us an effective way to teach reading to young children. In the video Robin used chunks to figure out unknown words and when he was trying to read a word he would look and find words that he knew in the word and sound out the rest and then he was able to read the unknown words. The teacher that was teaching him used phonics to teach him how to read and the more that he practiced he was able to read the words faster and understand what he was reading. They also used phonograms to make new words out of the same word family. Once he learned the word families then he was able to read most any word by putting on a new beginning sound. I really enjoyed watching this video it has really made me remember why I decided to be a teacher. This reminds me of when I worked with an afterschool program one of the custodians at the school where I worked could not read. He would come in afterschool when I was working and ask me to read something to him. He would also have the teachers at the school to teach him how to read and write when they had time. I do not know if he ever learned how to read but I know that he had a determination to learn and Robin reminded me a lot of this man.

No comments:

Post a Comment