Sunday, July 7, 2013

Module 4: Activity 2

Which NRP topic area(s) or missing pillar(s)that Allington describes do you find to be most vital for children’s literacy success? Why? Post your response on your blog. Name the posting "Module 4: Activity 2."

I think that the topic areas that the NRP discussed that are most vital to children’s literacy success are phonics, fluency and comprehension. I think that there is a fine line between the importance of the three. If the students are not able to sound out words that can hinder their reading but if they do not have the correct fluency or read with the correct rate and expression there reading is not going to make much sense and they are likely to not be able to comprehend what they are reading. The reason that you would read is to comprehend. Sometimes many children read just to read words and they spend so much time trying to sound out the words that they do not even remember what they have read when they finish sounding out the words. According to Allington in the missing pillars that I think are the most important is matching students with texts that they find interesting and texts that are on their level. They do not need texts that are too hard or too easy. They also need to have texts that they are able to connect with and that they find interesting and that focus on subject matter that they can relate to. I also like the idea of group work and working with the students on an individual basis. I know that when I am teaching whole group I do not feel like the students have made meaning to anything that I have taught. I would much rather teach to a small group especially in reading. I feel like it makes a more personal connection with the students and if the teacher is able to work in a small group they are more likely to catch any problems that may occur with students reading.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment