Marcus is a student who very frequently miscues by substituting words that start with the same letter or first few letters of the word in the text, but his substitutions often are not syntactically or semantically acceptable (they neither sound right grammatically nor make sense). What possible teaching strategies would you suggest to help Marcus? Post your response to your blog and name the posting "Module 4: Instructional Challenge."
I would sit down and work with Marcus one on one to begin with. I would tell him to slow down a little bit and look at the whole word. I would then read the sentence to him and have him read it back to me with correct fluency and expression. Having someone model correct fluency will help Marcus to read. We would also would look at the entire word and break it into parts. I will work with him on sounding out the words. I will show him how to break the words into chunks and sound them out. We will also talk about the word and why it can not be something else. We will also discuss the meanings of the words in the sentence that we are reading. I would use guided reading to work with him on phonics skills and reading comprehension skills. We will also talk about the grammar during this small group. I would also like to put him listening to a book on tape in a listening center. Hearing someone read with the proper fluency will help Marcus to read better and for the words to make more sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment