Thursday, July 18, 2013

Module 6: Reading Reflection

Does any of the information presented in Chapter 15 influence your personal philosophy of reading? In what ways? How has your perspective this changed since you took the DeFord TORP a few weeks ago?
Post your response on your blog. Name this blog posting "Module 6: Reading Reflection."

My reading philosophy has changed a lot over the period of this course. I have to say I now feel that I am better suited to teach reading to my students. Chapter 15 talks about meeting the needs of all learners by using a universal literacy program. Since taking the DeFord TORP a few weeks ago my philosophy has changed. I am now more focused on reading for meaning with my students. Before this course I felt that if the students were sounding out the words they were reading but I have found out differently. I now am ready to focus more on my students reading for meaning and not to just sound out the words that are written on the page. I am excited to get to use this information in my classroom very soon. 

1 comment:

  1. Mallory,
    My reading philosophy has evolved over this course as well. While I did think that reading was more than sounding out the words, I was guilty of teaching skills in isolation. Now I know that teaching them in context will be more beneficial for my students. I too am eager for the coming school year!

    ReplyDelete