Sunday, June 30, 2013

Module 3: Mock Memo from a Reading Specialist

Module 3: Mock Memo from a Reading Specialist
    Dear teacher,
                I see that some of the students in your classroom are struggling with reading comprehension. I see that they are reading on grade level for fluency but I see they are having a little trouble with there comprehension.

                I believe that your students are reading just to read words they are not actually reading for meaning. You can help to solve this problem by working with the students in a small group. You need to explain to them that we read for meaning and that it does not matter how fast you read if you do not understand what you are reading then it does you no good to read words. Tell the student that it is important to slow down with their reading. Have them read a short passage to you aloud. Then have them to tell you what happened in the story. If they are not able to tell you what is happening then you may need to read it with them. Model reading slower and with expression. When you read an important part in the story stop and discuss it with the students. You may have to work with some students individually. They may not be able to read out loud in a group setting. I think that you will find if you tell the students to slow down and you practice with them reading for meaning and not just to read words their comprehension rate will improve.

Mallory Johnson

2 comments:

  1. Mallory,
    I believe that if students are reading then they should be comprehending. If they are not reading, then they are not comprehending. I liked your idea about pulling the students in a small group or individually because some may not be able to read in a group setting. That would also help the student get more help with the teacher one-on-one. Some students perform better that way. I liked all of your strategies. I used all of those in my mock memo. I think we have to make reading and learning fun for our students as well. If they are enjoying reading, then they will comprehend what they have read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that you have to make reading fun. When I read aloud to my students I always like to read with lots of expression. This keeps them interested in what I am saying they never know what I am going to do next.

    ReplyDelete