Sunday, June 23, 2013

Module 2 Activity 1 and 2

Activity 1:
#3c
Creech- creep or move very slow
Droogs- dogs
Glazzies- glazing
Goloss- gloss
Malenky- lanky or skinny.
Messel- a vessel
Millicents- million            
Poogly- puggy
Razrez- reminded
Skorry- scurry
Spatted- this reminds me of the word splattered so I would think it means about the same thing.
Zoobies- animals that live at the zoo
I have to admit that this was a very hard exercise for me to complete. This took a lot of thinking on my part. I first had to think about what part of speech that each word sounded to be and then think of a meaning for it. Many of the words I based on my knowledge of other words that I know in the English language. I don’t think that I got many of the words right but this was a hard thing to do is find the definitions of these words with no context to go along with it.

After reading the chapter in A Clockwork Orange I was able to find the definitions to the words by looking at the context in which the words are used. This was not an easy read.  This was a lot easier to do than just looking at a list of words and writing a definition for it.
Droogs- friends
Glazzies- eyes
Melanky- old
Millicents- police
Zoobies- teeth
Skoory- quick

Activity 2:
I did not try to read these words letter by letter. That would have taken too long. Trying to sound out these words letter by letter would not be an effective way to read the words. Instead of trying to read them letter by letter I tried to read the words by chunking them into syllables. This is the way that I try to read unknown words when I am reading something on my own. This is the most common way that people read unknown words. In my opinion this is much easier than sounding out letter by letter. You would put together the word parts that you know.
I was not familiar with any of these words at the time of reading. There were some of the parts of the words that I knew so I was able to make out what parts of the words so I could determine what parts of the word meant but I would have had to look up the root words to find out the whole meaning of the words. As I was pronouncing the words some of them sounded familiar and that made me think that I may have known some of the meaning.

When I am reading and I encounter an unknown word I like to read all the sentences around it and try to use context clues to find out the meaning of the word. This is the best way that I have found to deal with unknown words. This is a strategy that I could use to help my students to be able to read unknown words when they encounter them in text. 

No comments:

Post a Comment