Module 1: Reading Reflection
What are some of the major differences between a skills approach to literacy and a comprehensive or sociopsycholinguistic approach?
In reading about these two different approaches, I have determined that I have a skills approach to literacy in my classroom. I would like to begin to mix the two methods to form a median. I do think that the students need to know the basics in order to sound out unknown words but they also need to be able to use cues and strategies that must be integrated in order for the students to be successful readers.
The major difference in the two methods is the way that the students define reading. In the skills approach students may see Reading as identifying words and nothing more. In the comprehensive approach the students may define reading as constructing meaning. The students that learn through the skills approach my focus more on sounding out the words rather than constructing a meaning and comprehending what the words actually say. The skills method is usually pushed on teachers from business or government officials that have no classroom experience.
I am going to try to do a better job of not only teaching skills for reading but also mixing in the comprehensive method into my teaching as well.
Mallory,
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree with you that the basics provide a good foundation for beginning readers. They do however need to be able to see beyond the words. In my experience, most of my third graders have a good grasp of their basic skills before they come to me, but lack the skills to see the deeper meaning. I am wondering if my next class will be different with the implementation of the CCGPS this past year.
Mallory,
ReplyDeleteI too believe a combination of the skills approach in addition to the comprehensive approach to reading is the best way to meet the needs of all students. I was very fortunate to have had a wonderful student teaching experience in a kindergarten classroom where teaching reading is a huge focus. My collaborating teacher did a wonderful job implementing both approaches to teaching reading and modeled how to effectively teach using the comprehensive approach. At the end of the school year we implemented a 30 day Eric Carle Author Study where students were required to make connections and discuss the meaning of the multiple texts. In my opinion, a combination of the two approaches is the most effective way to teach reading.